I was reading the Daily Express today, and I came across this in the letters page...
It's time this great nation rediscovered its very soulIn the 1940s we did not have cars, TVs, washing machines, fridge freezers, telephones, central heating, personal computers, holidays abroad or stress counsellors and security guards.
But then neither did we have muggings, joyriding, road rage, happy slapping, druggies, hoodies, lager louts, football hooligans, New Age travellers and Islamic clerics spewing out hatred. Litter, graffiti and vandalism were almost unheard of.
Although the early Forties has come to symbolise a time of danger, hardship and depression (which it certainly was), nevertheless it was safer on the streets and in the home. All of which surely begs the question, what on earth has gone wrong?
Today, vigorously responding to a mugging or burglary can result in the victim being incarcerated and the offender being cautioned.
We have regrettably become a godless, spiritually impoverished society which desperately needs to restore the Christian values on which this once-great nation functioned and to discard the constraints of political correctness, which crushes our individuality and suffocates our very souls.
Jim Price, Moulton, North Hants
If I get a message of censorship from either the Daily Express or Mr Jim Price telling me to delete this post, then we will know just how free this country is.
So, on to my thoughts paragraph by paragraph...
- All these products (except for personal computers which was a product of the 1970s) were too expensive for the general public to own.
- Yes you did have muggings, they are as old as time and were not invented recently.
- Joyriding and road rage are a product of the ever increasing use of the car. Something which you pointed out was not in the hands of the general public.
- Happy slapping involves the use of a mobile phone to take pictures and/or video of the event, which I am sure you will agree were not around in the 1940s.
- Druggies: Victorian England, nuff said.
- Hoodies are a product of fashion. (Remember Teddyboys of the 1950s and 1960s?)
- Lager louts are again not a new product. Read this PDF file from the Joseph Rowntree Foundation
- Here's a few facts about Football hooligans
- What's wrong with New Age travellers? Do you really mean Gypsy travellers who do not respect the land they camp on and leave it an eyesore when they move on?
- "Islamic clerics spewing out hatred" - Religious history is full of different clerics and prophets spewing out hatred.
- Litter, graffiti and vandalism - Litter is a by-product of the throw away culture we now live in, graffiti is just another form of marking ones own territory and vandalism, well Britain had already just been vandalised by the bombs of the NAZI’s. I doubt that you could have vandalised it any more.
- I quite agree that the early Forties was "a time of danger, hardship and depression." Bombs falling on you would certainly contribute to that, which is why I can not understand why you say that it was "safer on the streets and in the home." As for your question, you could easily have asked "what on earth has gone right?" It is just like asking how long is a piece of string?
- Vigorously responding to a mugging or burglary is wrong. That is not self-defence. Join a martial arts course or ask your local authority on how to take a SIA course. You do not have to be a doorman (or door supervisor in this politically correct day and age) to take the course. I did one and it taught me a lot about what is considered "reasonable force" when sub-dueing someone. No "vigorously responding" needed.
- Here we come to the meat of the rant/letter.
- Why is it that people say that our current problems in society are created by the lack of god in our lives? Christians, read your bible again. God is an evil and vindictive being. He could quite easily teach us a thing or two about how to do things even more badly. Look at all the wars that were started in the name of Christianity. Do I have to remind you about the Spanish Inquisition?
- I agree with Mr Price about political correctness. Can anyone tell me why I have to address the "chair" and not the chairman or chairwoman? Does that mean a manhole cover is actually just a hole cover or a personhole cover? What about Menstruation? I just found this on the problems of political correctness.
So, do a bit of fact finding first - engage the brain before engaging the mouth or pen hand.